Wednesday 3 August 2011

First things first - part two

When I was around 16 or 17, I was in a boarding school and came home only on weekends. Some students brought their guitar with them and I found myself fascinated by that instrument, whether acoustic or electric. Some friends let me play sometimes and I learned the basics quite quickly. I think I got my first guitar (an acoustic one I still use to play) when I was 18.

I joined the formation "Junk Food" as a keyboarder. The band was composed of a singer, a guitarist, a bassist and a drummer. We were all, except for the bassist, from the same school and knew each-other well. The guitarist of the band ("San", as he likes to be called) is still a close friend. Through this band I met "Surge" since he was playing the bass. Sadly I played on one concert only, my second three manual organ was too bulky to get it out of the rehearsal room. :)

After school the band came apart and we went our own ways. The drummer continued to play in various bands like MiAirMiEau or Zap Zoo."Surge" entered later the realm of electronic music as Midicrash.

"San" and I started the project "Sansara". That's when I bought my first real syntheziser, the Kawai K5000W. This synth is using additive synthesis, a not very common technique as it is quite complicated to use. Contrary to the subtractive synthesis where you start with mostly rich waveforms like a sawtooth, the additive synthesis lets you build your whole waveform from scratch by setting each (!) harmonic from its level to its ADSR envelope, and more. With a maximum of 64 harmonics it quickly gets a confusing task.

My first real syntheziser: K5000W from Kawai

"San" and I did experimental ambient-like songs that we collected in an album. It got never published though. Shortly I left the project and continued to work alone.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment